The hematology laboratory provides a wide variety of tests related to diseases of the blood and blood forming tissues. Expertise in morphologic evaluation is combined with advanced automated and manual techniques to study patients with neoplastic and non-neoplastic abnormalities involving red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, bone marrow, and the wide variety of proteins involved in blood clotting and thrombosis. These methods include:
- Accurate and rapid enumeration of hematologic cells
- Morphologic characterization of cell changes in benign and malignant conditions
- Immunologic characterization of cells by flow cytometry to subclassify hematologic neoplasms
- Advanced electrophoretic evaluations of hemoglobin abnormalities
- Sophisticated techniques evaluating coagulation proteins, platelet function, and disorders of abnormal thrombosis
The laboratory is staffed by an experienced group of technologists and is backed by board certified hematopathologists. Consultative and interpretive support is provided as an ongoing activity in collaboration between the laboratory and clinical physicians.